Digger’s Diary – August 10th, 2010

Back today to find that things are hotting up! One of  the flints found in Trench 2 has turned out to be a Microlith from the Mesolithic Period. I’ve already been to the dictionary. (A minute worked flint used as part of a composite tool.)

The one we’ve found is a very fine, very thin flint about two inches long with serrations on one side. Might have been used to head up a sickle, arrow or spear or knife and, this is the really interesting bit, it was made before Folkestone became “By the Sea.”  In fact, approx. 6,000 – 4,000 years ago. The Channel didn’t exist. Did we all speak the same language then or just grunt? Somebody will know. A brooch has turned up but am waiting to hear more about that.

That quern stone in Trench 2 that was lurking in the wall, laughing at us, has been got.  Said we would! Fully exposed, not laughing now and the ledge it is sitting on has been widened. 

Today there were great plans to widen the top end of Trench 2 but the heavens opened and washed those away.  Instead we put the canopy on a great long gazebo (brought on site for visitors to sit under and learn about the dig) just to see if it would stand up to the weather. After hanging on to bits of it for about an hour in the wind and rain and discussing past and present digs, we decided it didn’t. We took it down.

So it was off to the shed and we became washers of pots.  That is, washers and cleaners of pottery pieces, bones and flints and anything else we had unearthed.  I found it quite companionable standing around lots of washing up bowls with our toothbrushes and cleaning things. People talk, don’t they, when their hands are busy.  I won’t repeat anything.

A very kind resident on the other side of the road has let us use his stand pipe and hose and so Keith was kept busy going back and forth with a wheelbarrow of containers getting water to replace the muddy stuff we were throwing away.  Then it was lunch time.

The rain stopped at last and we shot off up to Trench 2 to start widening it, but not before Keith took us on a little tour down the cliff to see the various layers we were dealing with on top.  That cliff really is quite treacherous and I got bitten by killer ants! One came home with me.

We have taken off the top layer and tomorrow if the weather is good we will start the real digging. 

While that was going on Keith was in the shed giving it a “Makeover”. I sneaked a look before I came home and as a person of great experience, with a garage that never saw a car inside it, I can say he’s done a good job.

We’ve got a Marion too, who is in charge of the Outreach and Research teams involved in getting all this information out to schools and the people of Folkestone.  She has organised a team to meet and greet people when they visit the site and  peer at us through the bars of the fencing –  DO COME.

Try walking around with a couple of kilos of mud on your boots and a barrow load of soil.


This post is in: Digger's diary